|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|音羽 [Otowa]||Yokosuka K K||3.1.1903||2.11.1903||6.9.1904||wrecked 1.8.1917|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t|
98.0 pp 103.9 oa
|No of shafts||
2 4-cyl VTE, 10 Kampon boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
Harvey nickel steel - deck: 76 - 51, gun shields: 38, CT: 102
2 x 1 - 152/40 Armstrong Z, 6 x 1 - 120/40 Armstrong T, 4 x 1 - 76/40 Armstrong N, 2 - 450 TT (beam)
The Otowa, ordered under the 1896-1897 Programme, was a smaller, faster version of the Tsushima class, but with a lighter armament. The design reverted to the sponsoned 120mm as in the earlier Suma; instead of beam-mounted 152mm guns, the fore and aft 152mm were retained. The Otowa was the first ship to be equipped with the Japanese-designed Kampon water-rube boiler. The engines were identical to those in the Tsushima with a slight increase in hp. The boilers were of the three-drum pattern and apart from having curved tubes, were very similar to the Yarrow boiler.
The armoured deck was 13mm thicker than in the Tsushima, but still not as strong as that fitted to the Elswick designed cruisers.
Protective deck had 76mm flat and 76mm slopes amidships and 51mm flat and slopes (turtleback form) at ship ends. Guns were protected by 38mm shields, CT had 102mm sides.
The Otowa was present at the Battle of Tsushima and was lost when she ran aground on the Japanese coast (near Daio Saki, Mieken, Shima Hanto) 1.8.1917.