|Name||No||Yard No||Builder||Laid down||Launched||Comp||Fate|
|Άετός [Aetos] (ex-San Luis)||Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, UK||1910||2.2.1911||9.1912||captured by France 12.1916 (Aetos), returned 12.1918, BU 1946|
|Ιέραξ [Ierax] (ex-Santa Fé)||Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, UK||1910||15.3.1911||9.1912||captured by France 12.1916 (Ierax), returned 12.1918, BU 1946|
|Λέων [Leon] (ex-Santiago)||Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, UK||1910||15.7.1911||9.1912||captured by France 12.1916 (Leon), returned 12.1918, sunk 15.5.1941|
|Πάνθηρ [Panthir] (ex-Tucuman)||Cammell Laird, Birkenhead, UK||1910||26.4.1911||9.1912||BU 1946|
|Displacement normal, t||
|Displacement full, t||1175|
86.9 wl 89.3 oa
|No of shafts||
2 Parsons steam turbines, 5 White Foster boilers
|Power, h. p.||
|Max speed, kts||
coal 230 + oil 90
4 x 1 - 102/50 Armstrong P, 4 x 1 - 533 TT (8)
This class was built for Argentinian Navy under the order given out late 1909. Because of lacks which have come to light at trials and financial disagreements Argentinian Government as a result has ruptured the contract and refused already completed ships. Then Greece become interested in them and 12.9.1912 gained these destroyers at the price of 148,000 £ for each. For their time ships had very strong armament. Smoke ducts were deduced into individual funnels that predetermined unique five-funnels outline profile of ships. In 1916 3 destroyers (except Panthir, having problems with machinery) were captured by French troops and till the end of First World War served under French flag. For this time ships passed repair of boilers (on Aetos one of them was replaced by boiler from incomplete destroyer Enseigne Gabolde) and ships became three-funneled. In 1924-1925 Aetos, Ierax, Leon and Panthir passed major repair and reconstruction by S. White (UK). On trials ships shown from 31.1 (Aetos) to 31.16 (Leon)kts. Cost of modernization was 110,000 £ for each ship.
1917, Aetos, Ierax, Leon: + 1 x 1 - 57/40 Hotchkiss AA
(1924-1925, White, Cowes, UK), all: The outline profile received quite modern outlines. White-Forster boilers were replaced by 4 oil-burning Yarow boilers (260t of oil), that has allowed to be limited to two funnels, to liquidate boiler room No1 and to shift fwd superstructure astern; - 1 x 1 - 57/40, 4 x 1 - 533 TT; + 2 x 3 - 533 TT; 1050/1300t, 19750hp, 32kts, complement 110.
early 1930s, all: + 2 x 1 - 40/39 2pdr QF Mk II
1937-1938, all: + 2 x 1 - 40/39 2pdr QF Mk II, 2 DCT
1937-1938, Aetos, Panthir: + 40 mines
1942, Aetos, Ierax, Panthir: - 2 x 1 - 102/50, 1 x 3 - 533 TT; + 1 x 1 - 76/40 12pdr 12cwt QF Mk I/II/V, 3 x 1 - 20/70 Oerlikon Mk II/IV, 6 DCT, 2 DCR, type 123A sonar
In 1916 3 destroyers (except Panthir, having problems with machinery) were captured by French troops and till the end of First World War served under French flag. Leon 22.1.1921 has lost a stern as a result of explosion of own DCs, but has been repaired.
Leon was damaged 17.4.1941 at collision with s/s Ardenna: as result of explosion of own DCs stern with screws and rudder (second time for service!) was broken off, but she was towed to Crete, where 15.5.1941 she was sunk by German aircraft. Panthir was laid up into reserve 29.9.1943, Aetos and Ierax late 1943. All three survived ships were handed over on demolition in 1946.