home

fighting ships of the world

FRENCH NAVY (FRANCE)

CAPITAL SHIPS

COURONNE broadside ironclad (1862)

Couronne 1862

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Couronne   Arsenal de Lorient 14/2/1859 28/3/1861 2/2/1862 gunnery TS 12/1908, disarmed 9/1909

 

Displacement normal, t

5983

Displacement full, t

 

Length, m

80.0 wl 80.9 oa

Breadth, m

16.7

Draught, m

8.20 max

No of shafts

1

Machinery

HRCR, 8 oval boilers

Power, h. p.

2900

Max speed, kts

12.5 - 13

Fuel, t

coal 1000

Endurance, nm(kts)

2410(10)

Armour, mm

wrought iron; belt: 120 - 80

Armament

40 x 1 - 165/18 M1858-60

Complement

570

Ship project history: Ordered the same day as the Gloire, the iron-hulled Couronne was delayed during construction by alterations to the plans of her designer Audenet. She was however the first iron-hulled armoured battleship to be laid down, though launched and completed after the Warrior. The Couronne was similar in general layout to the Gloire but was a better ship. There was no effective compartmentation. Of the guns, 36 were in the broadside battery behind armour 2.1m above water and 4 were on the upper deck

Ship protection: The armour backing was unusual, comprising 100mm teak, 33mm of iron lattice work, 280mm teak and then the 20mm hull plating. As in the Gloire the sides were completely armoured above water, and the upper deck comprised 100mm oak and 13mm iron with the main beams also iron but did not cover the machinery spaces.

Modernizations: 1864: new armament consisted of 4 x 1 - 194/11 Canon Obusier 50, 36 x 1 - 165/18 M1864

1866: new armament consisted of 16 x 1 - 194/19 M1864, 6 x 1 - 165/18 M1864

1870s: was armed with 8 x 1 - 240/18 M1870, 4 x 1 - 194/20 M1870, 2 x 1 - 120/25 M1870, 12 x 5 - 37/20 M1885

Naval service: The Couronne was converted to a gunnery training ship in 1881-85, the armour being removed and a light iron spar deck and poop added, so that she resembled a screw 2-decker in appearance. An illustration of 1865 shows a full rig similar to that of the Gloire, and she was a better sea boat than the latter with a metacentric height of about 1.8m. Her iron hull seems to have lasted well and she remained afloat until 1932.

Ivan Gogin, 2014