home

fighting ships of the world

PEOPLE`S LIBERATION ARMY NAVY (PEOPLE`S REPUBLIC OF CHINA)

TORPEDO SHIPS

HANGZHOU destroyers (1999-2000)

Hangzhou 2010

Name No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
杭州 <Hangzhou> (ex-Yekaterinburg, ex-Vazhnyy) 136 Severnaya Verf, St. Petersburg, Russia 4/11/1988 23/5/1994 25/12/1999 in service (2017)
福州 <Fuzhou> (ex-Aleksandr Nevskiy, ex-ex-Vdumchivyy) 137 Severnaya Verf, St. Petersburg, Russia 22/2/1989 16/4/1999 25/12/2000 in service (2017)

 

Displacement standard, t

6600

Displacement full, t

8440

Length, m

145.0 wl 156.5 oa

Breadth, m

17.2

Draught, m

6.25 hull 8.25 max

No of shafts

2

Machinery

2 GTZA-674 geared steam turbines, 4 KVG-3 boilers

Power, h. p.

100000

Max speed, kts

32.7

Fuel, t

oil 1740

Endurance, nm(kts)

4900(18)

Armament

2 x 4 Moskit-E SSM (8 P-100 (3M80E)), 2 x 1 M-22 Shtil' SAM (48 9M38M1E), 2 x 2 - 130/70 AK-130, 4 x 6 - 30/54 AK-630M, 2 x 2 - 533 TT (4), 2 x 6 RBU-1000 Smerch-3 ASWRL, 2 x 7 - 55 MRG-1 Ogonyok grenade launchers, 22 mines, 1 helicopter (Ka-28)

Sensors

MR-760MA Fregat-M2EM, Mineral-E, 2x 3R91E, MR-184E Lev-218, 2x MR-123-02 Vympel-A, MR-212/201-1 Vaygach-U, MR-212/201-3 Vaygach-U radars, MGK-335MSE Platina-MSE, SSN-137, 2x MG-7 Braslet sonars, 2x Spektr-F laser detectors, E/O sensor (NATO Codename 'Squeeze Box), MP-401E Start, MP-407E Start-2 ECM suites, 8x PK-10 Smelyy, 2x PK-2M decoy RLs, Sapfir-U CCS

Complement

343

Ship project history: Russian project 956E. A letter of intent to order the first pair was signed in 1997; the final contract for $667 million for the pair was signed next year. Hangzhou was handed over to Chinese control 24/2/1999; sea trials began in July and she arrived in China on 15/2/2000. Fuzhou conducted sea trials from June to August 2000 in the Baltic and was handed over on 25/11/2000. These are the incomplete 18th and 19th units of the class initially ordered for the Russian Navy. Although one had been launched, work on both had been suspended; the first was 65% complete when purchased and the other 35%. The ships are primarily intended for surface warfare tasks, including antiship, shore-bombardment, and AA defense; the minimal ASW capability is primarily for self-defense. Although this is by no means a state-of-the-art design (the ships were designed in the mid-1960s), they are vastly superior to anything else in Chinese service.

    The propulsion plant is essentially the same as that of the preceding Russian projects 1134/A and employs turbopressurized boilers. Fin stabilizers are fitted. The first pair were begun as Project 956A ships to carry longer cruise-missile tubes to accept a probable extended-range Moskit missile and a naval version of the S-300 SAM, vice the Uragan systemís original 9M38M Smerch missiles. The SAM launchers are apparently limited to launch angles within 30º of the centerline, a significant handicap; there may be only 16 ready-service missiles per launcher, with the other four requiring assembly and loading onto the ready-service rings. The ships have the large Mineral-E radome associated with surface-to-surface missile targeting systems. There are also two small spherical radomes on the sides of the stack that are missile datalink-associated.The 130-mm guns are of a fully automatic, water-cooled model, capable of AA or surface fire; they are restricted to firing arcs of 40º each side of the centerline. Squeeze Box is an optronic gunfire-control director combining a laser rangefinder, low-light-level television, and infrared devices.

Modernizations: None. Major modernization plans for 2016-2018 include replacing of original armament by domestic designed, including 130mm HJ/P-130 guns, YJ-12 SSMs, 16 or 24 HQ-16C or HQ-9 SAM in VLS, YJ-18 SSMs and CJ-10 cruise missiles. Hangzhou is under modernization in 2017.

Naval service: No significant events.

Fuzhou 2000

© Ivan Gogin, 2016-17