home

fighting ships of the world

ARGENTINEAN NAVY (ARGENTINA)

TORPEDO SHIPS

LA PLATA destroyers (1912)

nearly sister-ship Catamarca 1913

nearly sister-ship Catamarca 1933

Name No Yard No Builder Laid down Launched Comp Fate
Córdoba D2, 1952- T15 850 Schichau, Elbing, Germany 1910 11/1910 7/1912 stricken 1/1956
La Plata D4, 1952- T16 851 Schichau, Elbing, Germany 1910 1/1911 3/1912 stricken 1/1956

 

Displacement normal, t

875

Displacement full, t

1368

Length, m

90.0

Breadth, m

9.00

Draught, m

2.80

No of shafts

2

Machinery

Curtis-AEG steam turbines, 5 Schulz-Thornycroft boilers

Power, h. p.

28000

Max speed, kts

35

Fuel, t

coal 290 + oil 50

Endurance, nm(kts)

3000(15)

Armament

4 x 1 - 102/50 Bethlehem No.1, 4 x 1 - 533 TT

Complement

150

Ship project history: In January, 1909 the Argentina parliament has assigned means for building 12 of large destroyers under the 1907 program, accepted after the five years moratorium in reply to strengthening of Brazilian Navy. Orders for building have been given out in the end 1909 to British Cammell Laird (ships were named San Luis, Santa Fé, Santiago and Tucumán), French A C de Bretagne (San Juan and Salta) and Dyle & Bacalan (Mendoza and La Rioja), German Schichau (La Plata and Córdoba) and Krupp-Germaniawerft (Catamarca and Jujuy). All ships should had displacement of about 1000t, 32kts speed, were armed by 4 102mm/50 Bethlehem-Vickers guns and 4 single 533mm TTs, but differed with ship dimensions, machinery structure and funnels number. German-built destroyers were equipped with Curtiss-AEG turbines and Schultz-Thornycroft boilers with mixed firing. On six-hour trials 18/10/1911 Córdoba has shown 34.7kts at 25000hp, and La Plata made 36.8kts at 28000hp. Both destroyers built by Germaniawerft also exceeded contract speed on 2kts. In the summer of 1912 these ships crossed Atlantic and arrived to Argentina.
    Remaining 8 destroyers were not commissioned by Argentina Navy. Contract with Cammell Laird has been cancelled by Argentina party, ships finally were sold to Greece as Aetos, Ierax, Panthir and Leon. Remained ships 9/8/1914 were requisitioned by France and commissioned by French Navy as Temeraire, Intrepide, Aventurier and Opiniatre.
    To the Second World War beginning all destroyers made no more than 27kts.

Modernizations: 1924-1925, both: boilers were converted to pure oil (220t of oil, 24000hp, 32kts, 2700(15)nm); - 1 x 1 - 102/50, 4 x 1 - 533 TT; + 2 x 1 - 2 x 1 - 37/43 11/2pdr QF AA Vickers, 2 x 2 - 533 TT, 1 DCT

Naval service: All ships were stricken 10/1/1956 and BU in 1959-1960.

La Plata between the wars

La Plata 1952

Ivan Gogin, 2011-14